Monday, December 31, 2007

Enjoying the Color of Light


One of the best things about traveling and shooting is that I get the chance to slow down and really pay attention to the details that make each place unique. The color of light in a particular place at a particular time of year is one of the details I love the most. What do I mean by "color of light", you ask? I'm talking about the overall ambient color of light that is really a combination of the angle of the sun, the water content in the air, and the color created by reflections in the environment.


To give an example, since I live in Northern California, I would have to say that the color of light in the autumn here on the coast is one of the most amazing and vibrant colors I have ever experienced. The lack of fog in the autumn, combined with the angle of the sun, creates a situation where the sky is an amazingly rich shade of blue, the sun is bright and yellow and the contrast from light to shadow is very stark. This is an amazing light for landscape photography and cinematography, but not so good for portraits or scenes with people. A similar light exists in the spring in the months prior to the return of the fog, however the spring light tends to be warmer and more toward the orange and red spectrum, where the autumn light is more blue and cool.


Have you ever noticed the color of light where you live at different times of year? Do you think the idea of a "color of light" is subjective? Tell me about the color of light where you live--I'd love to get some ideas of new places to shoot and the times of year that are the most spectacular.

No comments: